29 gifts

>> Monday, June 07, 2010


Visit 29-Day Giving Challenge

My mom loaned me a book a few weeks ago called 29 gifts by Cami Walker. She explained briefly to me that it is about a woman who developed Multiple Sclerosis and her journey to come to grips with it. I have to admit I wasn't all that excited to read it because I thought it would just be another depressing story. Since I spend my work days as a counselor listening to depressing stories I usually try to avoid such stories in my free time.

However, as shallow as this sounds, the cover was pretty cute so I decided to dive in during our recent camping trip. Within the first two chapters I was hooked and finished the book within a week. The author was diagnosed with MS one month after her wedding and within a couple years of rapidly declining health she plummeted into a fairly severe depression. Someone suggested to her that she begin a 29 day giving cycle in which she seek to give a gift to another person for 29 days in a row.

The rest of the book describes how this process changed her life and helped her begin to live her life focused on others instead of her own illness. I was so inspired by the book I've decided to begin my own giving cycle starting tomorrow and chronicle my journey on my blog.

My biggest fears in starting this are
1. that I'll forget and get through my day without having consciously given a gift to another person.
2. that I won't have time to blog every day.

However, I have thought about the book every day since I finished it more than a week ago so I'm guessing I actually won't forget to give a gift. Also, if I don't have time to blog every day then I guess it won't be the end of the world if I have to double up entries.

So if I've got you curious you can keep checking back here or check out the author's website here. Let's get gifting!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP