29 Gifts-Days 19, 20 and 21

>> Monday, June 28, 2010

I've spent much of the past few days on the receiving end of this 29 gifts experience rather than the giving end. A friend of mine had passed along a gift certificate for a photography session to us that she couldn't use so we did that Saturday.

We went out to Funk's Grove where a local photographer took some fun candids of our kids. I'm anxious to see how they turned out because even though our kids can be painfully shy at times, I think they were really getting into it by the end.

My gift that day was to take my son to see Toy Story 3. We don't often go on "dates" unless it's to doctor or dentist appointments so this felt like a special treat for him and I. If you've seen it, you know it's a bit of a tear jerker so I was trying my best to regain composure at the end before he noticed me crying and asked "Why are you sad, mommy?"

When I told him I felt like Andy's mommy and sometimes I just wish I could always be with him, he was quiet for a minute and then said, "Next time, I want Daddy to take me to the movie."

Way to ruin my moment, kid.

He did ask to sit on my lap about a third of the way through the movie, though so I enjoyed snuggling him through the rest of the movie. And I'm pretty sure he enjoyed going with me after all.

When we got home we got out the new slip n' slide I had bought them a couple nights ago and we all had fun cooling off on a blistering hot day. It took me back to my childhood and the sore, bruised body was worth the laughter and giggles.

Sunday was a pretty quiet day at home after church and my gift was to make my family peanut butter cookies. OK, so they were just a Betty Crocker bag mix. But just the same, my son helped me every step of the way and it was a fun bonding experience for he and I. He even learned how to wash the dishes for the first time ever so I hope I can continue to capitalize on the novelty of that for years to come!

Since today is my birthday the giving has been done by everyone around me, to me! My husband made us a french toast breakfast, my mother in law is watching the kids for me this afternoon so I can do some second hand store shopping. I love hunting for treasures and have already found a couple gems.

I plan to go out again this afternoon, pick up the kids and go out to Cracker Barrel as a family tonight. My gift today was to give my change at one of the second hand stores to help the homeless.

I have noticed during these 29 days that giving in small increments like that is so easy, painless and hardly felt at all. Why haven't I done that more in my life? Even if nothing extravagant is accomplished through this experience I hope I at least have started developing a habit to give in those small consistent ways.


If you are wondering what I'm talking about with this "29 gifts" read this post here and consider joining me in this movement!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP