29 Gifts-Days 8 and 9

>> Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I've decided that since this gift giving experience is more about giving the gifts than about the blogging, I'm going to cut myself a break. I'll try blogging every couple days and see how that goes and maybe even end up only blogging every few days. We'll see.

Yesterday's gift was to be purposeful about spending undivided attention time with my kids. Their grandma, who usually watches them on my work days, is on vacation this week so my husband and I juggled our work schedules to be able to cover the times I'd normally be gone. This allowed me to have most of Monday and Tuesday with them at home.

Monday I found myself distracted and busy after a busy day Sunday so I wasn't very "present" with them. Tuesday I decided I was going to be intentional about giving them my attention. While my son watched a video I played pretty ponies, dress up, kitchen and more with my daughter in her room. My favorite is when she insists on bringing me pretend refrigerated milk and chicken nuggets. Not sure why the milk always has to be refrigerated but she asks me repeatedly if I want it from the "fidgator" until I say yes. "No, thank you" is apparently not an acceptable answer.

I had checked out several new books at our library that morning at story time so I spent time with my son reading through those with him after my daughter had gone down for a nap. Lately I've had a one book rule with him because he asks so many questions about each page and picture that it can take 20-30 minutes to get through one book. But yesterday I just relaxed and enjoyed the hour or more connecting with him.

I certainly noticed that when I am more open to investing in them their attitude is more calm, relaxed and less defiant. It was a fulfilling gift for all of us.

Today my gift is a small "tribute" to my mom. I know she reads my blog and true to any loving mom she's my biggest fan and cheerleader. She, like me, is filled and encouraged by words of affirmation so I thought I'd take a few lines here to brag on her.

She came down for a few hours today and bought us McDonald's which has become a bi-weekly ritual for us. Every time I am with her I am reminded of what a selfless, sacrificial woman she is. It seems sometimes as though not a single thought goes through her mind without first thinking about what her children or grandchildren might need. In fact, just the other day when my daughter was trying to mooch food from my plate, I thought, if I was like my mom I would willingly give more and then some to my daughter. I want to be that selfless.

She's had her fair share of heartbreak and pain in her life and yet still she strives to be a woman of God, living a life of quiet service to Him. She is almost always working on some kind of sewing project, blankets to donate to babies in third world countries, pillow cases for children who are in the hospital, hats for chemo patients. The countless hours, money and energy she has invested in other people is not seen by very many people but is just a testament of her humility and desire to stay out of the spotlight.

In so many ways, mom, you are my hero and I hope I can be half the woman you are when I grow up. Love you.

If you are wondering what I'm talking about with this "29 gifts" read this post here and consider joining me in this movement!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP