29 Gifts-Day 3

>> Thursday, June 10, 2010

When we were dealing with infertility/pregnancy loss issues several years ago, joy was a rare commodity. So much of my world revolved around my medications, my cycle, my body, my hormones, my hopes, my disappointments, my, my, my...

A wise friend of mine spoke words to me that helped me change my perspective during that time in my life. I don't remember the exact conversation but she basically told me it looked like I was living a pretty scarce life when God had an abundant life waiting right in front of me.

It took a while for me to wrap my brain around what that meant. But soon I began to see how I really was living life out of a scarcity mentality. The picture I got in my mind was of people during the Depression era. I'm sure not everyone lived this way during the Depression but the overall impression I get is that because they didn't have what they wanted or needed they clung so very tightly to the meager things they did have.

The opposite of that, abundance, is living a life so full of blessing that you can't help but let it spill over into other people's lives. The picture I get here is of someone standing in a waterfall filling their cup over and over and over. Letting it spill out continuously, unable to keep it from ever emptying.

I want to live that kind of life.

I loved that this was a theme brought out more than once in the book. "...if you feel yourself giving out of obligation...you are in scarcity mode. You end up feeling drained and burned out...out of balance."

"When you give from a place of service, honesty, and fullness, you are left feeling revitalized." This is living life abundantly.

My gifts today were first to buy my kids some pool noodles. W was quite envious of his friend's from yesterday so since they were only $1 at the dollar store I felt justified in indulging them. They've already had lots of fun using them in the kiddie pool in the backyard and beating each other up. I love summer.

My second gift was an idea I stole from my mom. I bought a bag of m&m's at the store and after checking out told the cashier to enjoy them on her break. She certainly looked surprised, said thank you and that was that! Nothing earth shattering, but I got a fun rush from doing it and I bet she's enjoying a fun sugar rush on her break today.

If you are wondering what I'm talking about with this "29 gifts" read this post here and consider joining me in this movement!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP