All done

>> Thursday, May 03, 2007

One of W's most loved hand signs is "all done". He shakes his hands at mealtime, bathtime, diaper changing time...basically anytime he wants to get out of what we want him to do. I've never been so glad something was "all done" until yesterday after W's surgery. We had to be at the hospital at 5:45 am so we had to leave our house at 5 am. I was up at 2:30 and couldn't get back to sleep because I was so anxious about the day. I know it's just a routine procedure but the thought of someone hurting my baby is just not ok. It doesn't help matters when the doctors, to cover their own malpractice butts I know, explain every possible risk or side effect the surgery could have (even down to the fact that he could have a chipped tooth from where they enter the mouth to remove the adenoid).
However, our routine procedure was exactly that with no complications and we were home with W resting by 10:30 am. The doc said he had quite a bit of fluid in one ear and the adenoid was very enlarged so he thought this would really help him feel better. By today he's been running around like any normal toddler and you'd never know he had surgery yesterday.
I was surprised by a few things yesterday:
Surprised at how nervous I was! I knew I'd be a little anxious about it but wasn't expecting the stomach-churning, can't sleep, can't concentrate nervousness.
Surprised at how ferocious I felt towards the people who wanted to hurt him. Logically I knew they were helping him but my instinct was to tear their throats out when they wanted to take him from me. Don't worry, I controlled myself...mostly.
Surprised at how hard it was for me to trust God that He would take care of my baby. Apparently I have some work to do here.
Surprised at how cute he looked in a hospital gown. I obviously hope I never have to see him in one again, but I had to capture the memory! I don't know why the photo is sideways and can't figure out how to make it upright. If you know, clue me in.

3 comments:

Unknown 5:09 AM  

So glad to hear he came through like a champ and that he still had fluid etc. I know that's strange but I think it would be worse if they got in and thought "Oh, you know, maybe it isn't that bad, maybe we should wait." Indecision stinks. Thinking of you all.

bencounter 10:10 PM  

So glad to hear that he's ok, and that everything went well. I can relate to the instinctual feelings of protection. It's amazing how that brings it out, isn't it? Love you guys...

beegracious 2:12 PM  

Thanks to my brother-in-law for figuring out how to change my photo. I haven't figured out this new Mac yet.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP