Inflation

>> Sunday, July 15, 2007


OK, so I'm a sucker for lemonade stands. I just remember sitting out there on those hot summer days hoping somebody would stop and actually buy a glass. Most of the fun of a lemonade stand was in the preparation. We'd be sitting around bored out of our minds when somebody would get the great idea to do a lemonade stand. I have to think our moms must have just dreaded those "great" ideas! We'd run around all excited gathering the card table, tablecloth, cups and lemonade pitcher. Somebody would be in charge of making signs and we'd all barter until we figured out what price to charge. Then we'd get our little chairs and sit....and wait...and sit some more. After about 15 minutes we'd get bored and decide we need more ice or cups or something, just to have something to do. And the minute we'd get our first customer, our whole day was worthwhile! 25 cents never seemed like so much money until you've earned it selling lemonade.
Well, this season I've already stopped at several stands and shelled out my quarter, smiling as I drove away knowing I don't really care so much about the lemonade as I do about making some kid's day. However, this past week I almost choked on my lemonade as I pulled up to a stand determined to do my usual good deed for the week. There was no posted price sign for the lemonade but I didn't care and as I rounded the corner of my car the kids ran to greet me with a red plastic cup smiling all the way. I nearly dropped my coin purse when I asked "How much do I owe you?" and they confidently replied, "One dollar!" "One dollar?!" I replied in shock with my jaw on the ground. I felt horrible when I saw the look of dismay on their faces and as quickly as I could said, "Wow, that's quite a bargain!" I took my cup of lemonade (only half full by the way) and fumbled around closing my coin purse and trying to open my wallet to scrounge out a dollar bill.
Now I know that gas prices have increased quite a bit over the course of the past year or so but does the same inflation rate apply to all necessary life nectars? Should I think twice before stopping at a stand from now on that doesn't have a posted price sign? Maybe business was bad that day so they thought they better up the price to make up for the lack of sales. It tasted allright but I have to admit it left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth knowing I had just shelled out a buck for 5 oz. of lemonade. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, it was pink lemonade.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP