Church Prison

>> Thursday, February 01, 2007


I am so frazzled right now that I just have to write about this experience I just had. As a counselor, the State requires several things of me in order for me to be able to keep my license. One of those things is that I receive supervision by a more experienced, higher licensed counselor. I meet with a counselor who uses an office in a local church here. She has warned me several times about the custodian at the church who tends to treat people poorly and that I need to be sure to check in at the office downstairs so as to avoid his wrath.
Well, guess who I ran into today on my way to check in at the office...Cut-Throat Custodian. I was aghast at how rudely I was questioned and interrogated. Now tell me honestly, do I really give the first impression that I'm someone who would rape and pillage a church during broad daylight while there are several staff members working throughout the building?
There are two things that make me very sad about this situation.
First, if I was a nervous and hesitant client coming for my first counseling session I would have bolted at the first sign of conflict from Cut-Throat Custodian. It takes some people months to work up the courage just to schedule an appointment with a counselor so encountering this on a first visit wouldn't exactly lend itself itself to being the first healing step on a long road to recovery.
Second, and possibly most important, is this what our world has come to? Don't we want churches to be a safe place for people to explore their journey to God? What if I had been an unchurched person experiencing this as my first church experience? What kind of impression would that have left on me? I understand the need to guard against vandalism, abuse of property, etc...but do we really have to treat our churches like they are prisons in order to accomplish God's will?
After my supervisor had vouched for my good intentions and I was released, I gathered up what ego strength I had left after being treated like some kind of criminal. She informed me that our Cut-Throat Custodian friend has only been at the church for a few months. Guess where his previous career was. The Prison.

1 comments:

beegracious 2:41 PM  

Went to a high school game the next night...guess who was sitting in the same row one section over from me? Small town living is grand. I guess God's trying to teach me yet another lesson in Grace.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP