Annual Banquet

>> Friday, April 06, 2007

Reunions are such an odd phenomenon. This past weekend we had the privilege of reuniting with old friends from college during our campus ministry's annual banquet. This year they specifically invited students who attended EIU between the years 1995-1999 for an appetizer reception before the banquet. It was so great to get see old faces and catch up with people who I haven't really talked to much in the past 7 years.
But I couldn't help but feel just a little bit cheated by the end of the night. Maybe it's just my obsessive need to know details of other's lives but I just didn't feel satisfied in the conversations I had. I loved getting to celebrate the major events: graduate degrees, new homes, new jobs, new marriages, new babies. I loved getting to meet new spouses and new children. I loved hearing about the different places life has scattered my friends to. But 7 years is a long time. And in 7 years time I know that not only good things have happened. Life has happened. Losses have happened. Sometimes even grief and despair has happened. But that's not what gets talked about at reunions.
I think reunions should actually be at least a two or three day affair. The first day is the happy day, full of celebrating and rejoicing and sharing the great things that we've missed out on in each other's lives. It's the day we can say, "Wow, you haven't changed a bit!" The second day we get down to the nitty gritty and find out the ins and outs of each other's daily lives. We get to share what obstacles we've encountered, what trials we've faced, what burdens we've bore. Because after all, isn't it those experiences that truly shape and form who we are? It's the day we say to each other, "Wow, you have really changed and I'm sorry you had to go through that stuff." The third day though, is the day of closure. It's the day we can enjoy memories of the "olden days." It's the day we can laugh over silly stories and truly feel connected to the new, changed, improved people around us. It's the day we can be authentic and real and able to appreciate each other. It's the day we can say, "Wow, you have really changed, and yet you haven't changed a bit."
I guess realistically I know this won't happen quite that way until the Ultimate Reunion in Heaven. So until then I'll quench my thirst for more details and settle for celebrating the major milestones every 7 years.

2 comments:

Unknown 2:44 AM  

You're almost right about reunions but 3 isn't enough. The third day is the day we sit and take joy in all the hard stuff and terrible stuff and rejoice that its ok now. God made us better people for all of it and isn't it good to have friends. The thrid day you also make another million memories so that you can sit and laugh about them in another 7 years. All in all, you've got my kind of reunion.

Jonathan 4:35 PM  

I like the idea of having a "cathartic tea" where everyone sort of purges their struggles. Sure, it'd be a bit depressing but it would also make you feel better when you realize that your own struggles aren't as bad as someone else's.

I have heard, however, that some reunions take on the "take a whack" tone where people bring up old hurts and, far from healing, they tear open long forgotten conflicts.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP