Spontaneous

>> Friday, September 11, 2009



I am not a spontaneous person. I like to plan, organize, and calculate. The thought of spontaneity makes me break out in hives. Well, maybe it's not that bad but I really do like a plan.

So you can imagine my distress when a friend of mine from college called me at 3:30 pm yesterday and said, "Hey, wanna come to a Point of Grace/Mark Schultz concert tonight in Decatur at 6:15?" She had won 6 tickets just that day.

Ordinarily I would have said no, thank you. In fact I almost did tell her no right away. But I told her I would call her back in ten minutes, thinking to myself, "I'll be calling you back in ten minutes after I think of some good reason not to come."

The strangest thing happened though. I couldn't think of a good reason. The best I could come up with is, "My husband needs to mow the yard." Wow. That would be a really lame reason to miss a concert.

Now, if it was just any old concert, I probably would have used that excuse. (Yikes, that's pretty sad, huh?) But this was not just a concert. She not only had to tickets to the concert, she had V.I.P. passes to MEET the artists backstage before the concert.

I do love Mark Schultz but the big draw for me was Point of Grace. I have this nostalgic link to them because they were so big during my college years. I'm embarrassed to share this story but my first memory of Point of Grace is riding in my now husband's '72 chevelle on the way to the Christian Campus House Barn Dance somewhere out in the country. We were really just friends then so I was in the back seat with another girl-friend of mine and his buddy was in the front seat.

We had the Point of Grace tape in (yes, TAPE, that's how long ago this was) and had "Keep the Candle Burning" cranked up. I remember seeing my hubby and his buddy rockin' out to the music, thinking, "Wow, I'm so impressed that they are secure enough in their masculinity to do a little head bobbin' to Point of Grace!" So impressed in fact that I married him!

Anyway, the concert was awesome and I felt totally cool (and yet totally immature that I felt totally cool) wearing my V.I.P pass. We got to meet them and they signed our passes and got our pictures taken with them. They seemed like they felt just about as awkward as we did about the whole thing.

But it was a great night of entertainment and just goes to show you that sometimes, just maybe, there are legitimate reasons for being spontaneous.

1 comments:

Nathan 2:48 PM  

Keep the candle buuuuurnin', keep the candle buuuuuurnin'! It was fun meeting you at the concert! I actually really enjoyed it, and it brought back lots of memories for me, too. :)Sara

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP